Houston, TX 77069
This position is open due to retirement and the company itself has extremely low turnover. Strong leadership skills are a must as this person will eventually be responsible for supervising up to 35 people in 5 groups. Excellent salary and benefits package including bonuses, LTIP/STIP and 4+ weeks of PTO in addition to 10 paid company holidays.
- Serves as a key advisor to the CAO, CFO, General Counsel and other company personnel on all aspects of Operational Accounting and reporting matters.
- Responsibilities include ensuring that all federal and state production, royalty and severance tax audits are responded to promptly and fully complied-with by the company. Also, preparing and issuing to the Chief Compliance Officer (i.e., General Counsel) quarterly reports that summarize the status of such audits.
- Stays informed of changes in federal (e.g., ONRR) and state royalty, severance tax and production reporting rules and regulations along with industry trends in order to advise senior management/other company personnel and to adapt existing company policies, procedures and systems to comply with such changes.
- Provides assistance to the General Counsel in connection with litigation and disputes involving working interest owners and royalty owners, and other legal matters.
- Key member of the asset acquisition and divestiture team as the lead for accounting and production due diligence and integration/dissolution for oil and gas property asset acquisition and divestiture transactions.
- Ensure all asset acquisition/divestiture preliminary and post-closing accounting settlements are appropriately reviewed/prepared on a timely basis.
- Key accounting team member that interfaces with IT and other departments to update, develop and implement efficient operational accounting and reporting processes and systems including the integration of departmental systems (e.g., Land/Production/Regions/Field/Marketing) and sub-systems.
- Participates in establishing and implementing overall Accounting department goals and objectives.
- Recruits, directs, coaches, evaluates (Includes preparing annual performance reviews and establishing individual annual goals for direct reports, and reviews and approves same for indirect reports), corrects and mentors staff to ensure appropriate organizational development, succession planning and performance management within the Revenue and Production Accounting teams.
- Ensures that staff are well trained and developed by their participation in applicable educational programs (third-party and in-house developed) and internal mentoring programs and job duty cross-training.
- Establish and maintain written policies and procedures (including desk procedures), as well as monitoring for compliance, and recommend and implement improvements to efficiently and effectively address evolving business needs while maintaining or improving internal controls.
- Assist with the annual financial audit in relation to certain operational accounting matters.
- Undergraduate degree in Accounting or related field of study required. MBA or graduate degree in Accounting is a plus. CPA or other relevant certification preferred.
- 15+ years of progressively responsible experience in all aspects of operational accounting (with emphasis in revenue and production accounting, but also joint interests and accounts payable accounting) in the U.S. onshore upstream E&P industry.
- 7+ years related managerial/supervisory experience with demonstrated organizational leadership capabilities; recruiting, developing and evaluating staff to ensure organizational development, succession planning and performance management.
- 5+ years of experience related to accounting due diligence and asset integration/dissolution for larger scale oil and gas property asset acquisitions and divestiture transactions including reviewing/preparing preliminary and post-closing accounting settlement statements.
- Must be versatile with well-rounded leadership skills, and excellent communication and interpersonal skills to effectively lead and direct staff and to interface effectively with senior executives, corporate and region personnel.
- Advanced technical knowledge of operational accounting practices for a variety of highly complex assignments while successfully working with and advising senior management and various other departments (e.g., Production, Marketing, Land, Legal, AP, Revenue, Corporate Accounting, Region/Field personnel) as well as third parties.
- 10+ years experience with and strong working knowledge of Excalibur oil and gas accounting and CGI/PetroComp production accounting software systems or similar software systems.
- Excellent project management/execution skills demonstrated by managing and participating in process/system improvement projects in collaboration with IT and other departments (e.g., Land/Production/Regions/Field/Marketing).
- Working knowledge of oil & gas marketing/trading activities
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint skills.