Maritime Documentation Specialist
Houston, TX 77015
Our maritime logistics client in East Houston is seeking a contract to hire Documentation Specialist! Qualified candidates will have 2+ years maritime documentation experience, intermediate Excel, and proven ability to work successfully in a fast-paced, high-volume, deadline-driven environment.
- Monday – Friday, 800am – 500pm, possible OT/on-call as required
- Possible future rotating half-day Saturdays possibly remote – every other week or every 2 weeks as business increases
Documentation Specialist position performs activities related to entering bills of lading, preparation of non-negotiables, invoices, prepare /release original documents and finalize documentation for the agents at port of discharge.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for creating bills of lading and comparing against booking note, dock receipts, final mates receipts and hazardous cargo information in I-Ships
- Confer with sales, traffic, or other personnel to expedite and trace missing bill of lading instructions, clarify discrepancies and handle any other problems.
- Prepare and send proof non-negotiables and invoices to customers.
- Prepare and send final unrated bills of ladings with AES filing Citations to U.S. Customs.
- Invoice and post bills of lading and prepare/release original documents per customer instructions based on credit terms or receipt of payment
- Send credit applications to Shippers when requested.
- Audit customer’ s accounts for outstanding invoices and send notices to ensure account is current and kept within terms of credit.
- Ensure vessel/voyage files and documents are easily accessible, while maintaining security and internal documentation procedures.
- Finalize and send to agents at port of discharge corresponding documentation including bills of lading and cargo manifest.
- Confer with agents at port of discharge if corrections are acceptable after final bills of lading/manifest are submitted.
- Upon request provide customers with receiving reports in order to assist in the expediting of export documents.
- Examines work for exactness, neatness, and conformance to policies and procedures.
- Notifies customers of arrival dates and provides any additional information needed by customer.
- Audit accounting invoices of terminal related charges for freight.
- Responsible for FMC rate fillings including contract, 30 day approved rates for import/export, contract amendments and bunker for USO & IMC.
- Ensures Rate Filings are accessible for auditing purposes.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
% Time Essential Tasks Performed
40% Creating/auditing bills of lading
20% Preparing non-negotiables/invoices for customer approval.
20 % Auditing customers’ accounts and prepare release documents/instructions
10 % Finalizing documentation for Customs/Agents at Port of Discharge
5 % Auditing accounting invoices of terminal related charges
5 % FMC Rate filing